Identification: Need help identifying the culprit of these lemon trees.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Juan Saucedo, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Juan Saucedo

Juan Saucedo New Member

These lemon trees were doing good before summer hit. Ones in a black plastic pot, the other is a pinkish/brown pot. Now its September and the temperatures are starting to get cold, so ive been putting them indoors. But they havent been growing since the Summer. Some of the leaves as you can see got burnt during Summer. IMG_20210930_185604594.jpg IMG_20210930_185610162.jpg
    I put them in a spot where they were possibly watered too much. Now Ive been watering once they get dry, but idk how to fix them so they can start growing. Help. Its been months and I want them to keep growing. Added Dr Earth fruit fertilizer in the beginning of September but no luck. Any ideas would help. Thank you and god bless.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forums.

Growth will naturally slow as we enter the darker months of the year. However the yellowish appearance of the leaves suggests the seedlings are under-nourished. The fertilizer you're using appears to be a 5-5-2 granular organic. I suggest switching to a high-nitrogen, water-soluble fertilizer containing micronutrients. Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 and Plant-Prod 30-10-10 are a couple common ones. Give the trees as much light as possible; an unobstructed south facing window would be ideal.

3. Juan Saucedo

Juan Saucedo New Member

Thank you so much!!!! I appreciate it!! I tried looking up the Plant-Prod 30-10-10 but have no found that exact one.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Those just happen to be available in my area. You may encounter others. Come to think of it, Plant-Prod may not be readily available in the States.

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Lemons aren't bog plants, it's much easier to grow em in the mineral soil, not in the peat.
    Another thing, don't use high nitrogen fertilizers in the autumn, unless you can provide adequate lighting during winter.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  6. Yan78

Yan78 New Member

Hi,
    Can you please make me understand better, what do you mean by Mineral Soil? The soil from garden is a mineral soil?

7. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Peat, compost, coco coir, manure etc are organic.
    Sand, loam, clay, rocks etc are mineral.
    Avoid high peat content in the substrate for citruses.
    I grow my citruses in the sandy soil from my garden. I just mix in some well decomposed manure. I'm fertilizing my citruses only when up potting.

Yan78 likes this.