British Columbia: Need help from someone near Victoria BC.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Kada, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

I am doing a project on Brugmansia and i am in need of someone who is currently in Victoria area and is familiar with the plant. One of the things i am looking for are examples of cold hardiness within the genus, and i know the city of victoria planted a few on Cook street at a Y intersection with Maplewood. i am sure its Maplewood, and fairly sure its cook street.....if not cook....its the end of Maplewood.

what i need is confirmation that it is still there throughout winter, and whether its covered or not (a picture would be AMAZING, but i feel i shouldn't ask too much....) :)

I would like this for a comparative of cold hardy species and to compare with the local populations as far as cold hardiness goes.

If any of you know of any other Brugmansia sp. living outside year round, in the ground and not sheltered in Canada....i would love to hear about it!

any help would be GREAT! even a drive by if your there already would be nice!

thanks!

here are pics from the summer of the plants mentioned above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Sorry, to tell you, that these Brugmansias would have become mush on stems if left outdoors, during this past winter. They wilt at the first light frost. Temperatures dropped to below - 11 celsius in Victoria, and for many days well below -5 c.

Here are a couple examples that are alike in Victoria. hese come indoors during the winter months...

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: You will have to overwinter these in shelter to keep the same plants from year to year. None are hardy. Occasional plantings that persist do so only as long as winters with high minimum temperatures occur. And these may take most of the summer to get big enough to flower well.

4. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

Yes thanks. i am aware of this, however there is a large population in the mountains here that survive down to -5 degrees at times, and the population flourishes. I too doubt the plants above lived through the winter, but i am trying to get confirmation to be sure.

Thanks!

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

It is likely that the day time temperatures rise well above 0 celsius where your Brugs are flourishing in the mountains... The prolonged periods of below freezing temps are the bane of brug admirers in Canada.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The key difference with prolonged cold is that it results in freezing of the soil and roots. That is why plants surviving brief periods of low temperatures in warm climates may not persist when moved to cold climates. Otherwise, it takes only a few hours below a plant's minimum temperature to damage or kill it.