Need bamboo help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mkk, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mkk

mkk Active Member

My husband died and one of the things that was sent to me is a basket of several house plants. I don't have a camera, but one of the plants is some type of bamboo. Can I keep it confined? I have never worked with bamboo before, so I don't know anything about it. My thing is herbs.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lucky bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana)? How did you determine the one plant was a bamboo?

Another point is that a small bamboo plant in a pot in the house is not going to be able to take over your yard. And not all bamboos have running rootstocks that may spread yards in one go, then sprout where not expected or wanted.

3. mkk

mkk Active Member

Well actually I have seen bamboo around but it is very tall. This seems to be three clumps of 20 or more. It is short 12" high. Like I said it came in a basket of plants, I didn't know that florists used bamboo.

4. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

The only bamboo I have seen coming from a florist was growing in water not soil. I put it out in a pot, with soil, when it was almost 2 feet tall and had grown out of its container. I was glad it was in a pot. With neglect, it grew out of control.
    (I live in Los Angeles. Probably good weather for it)

5. AnnandaleVirginia

AnnandaleVirginia Member

I am sorry to hear that your husband passed away & hope he is in a better place now.

Regarding the bamboo, do you know what florist it came from or who sent it to you? Perhaps they will know what type it is & how to best care for it.

Another possibility is taking it to a local garden shop. Where I live, there are several garden shops where the staff are more than willing to help with plant identification. I am amazed how well they can just look at a leaf and say it is a "...". Hope this helps.

6. mkk

mkk Active Member

Thanks, I went to a garden shop and it looks more like a little date palm.

7. mkk

mkk Active Member

Thanks, I went to a garden supply place and it looks kind of like a mini date palm. Actually, like three sets of whatever. I guess I really need to send a picture (no camera).

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If still definitely a bamboo one like that would be a Bambusa multiplex cultivar. These are tropical and must have a mild climate or a greenhouse. They grow in tight clumps, all new stems arising right next to the others - never popping up where unexpected or unwanted, yards away.