Need advice before laying turf

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by green man, Nov 11, 2008.

1. green man

green man Member

Im working on a front lawn that is all clay and has alot of sitting water. I was thinking about placing a foot of sand down first then putting in some perforated drainage and then putting around 3 inches of soil before the turf. what would be the best method of preparing this front yard ? open to all idea i just want a very healthy lawn and i dont want any drainage issues. thnx for your time

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

My experience when I lived in Central California, which had serious hard clay, was to add 4 inches of top soil to the area planned for grass. I watered the area well first, then laid the topsoil, then rototilled it hardcore. Afterwards, I rolled it flat and layed the grass. For 3 years until I moved it was superb. Lots of mowing as a result.

3. green man

green man Member

my problem is that its a very low spot and there is sitting water all over it

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Our winter rains are probably quite different from the California experience, tho I appreciate your thoughts, Acoma. Sounds like that worked well for you.

I'm not so far from greenman, and have water standing on my level acre of lawn much of the winter...with soil that is almost totally sand. So not sure I can offer advice, more likely commiseration (if that's a word). On my land, a hardpan layer is much of the reason.

Raising the level on your low spot has to help tho, doesn't it? I would be cautious about installing a layer of pure sand (or anything else) because of the perched water table deal. Water in the topsoil layer will "hesitate" to drain down thru the sand, and wind up waterlogging the topsoil more rather than less. The solution, at least in theory, is to rototill the topsoil slightly into the sand layer before levelling and planting. I've also seen playing fields and other commercial lawn installations done directly on a sand layer...anyone else know about that...good idea for the lawn or just for the lawn installer?

The drainage pipes sound like a good idea, assuming there is a place for them to drain down to.

Good luck with it, and I hope the fall stays mild is you're planning to turf this year still.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree, pure sand doesnt drain very well, investigate capillary action if you want to learn more about why. In the nursery production guides I have read usually a limit of 10-15% sand in the growing medium is suggested. Have a look here for some ideas about helping out the lawn (or perhaps make some raised beds where the water sits and change the landscape ;) )
    http://www.lawnandmower.com/installing-lawn-drainage.aspx