Need Advice about Peter’s Honey Fig

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by CarolynS, Jan 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CarolynS

CarolynS New Member

Hi, I have a Peter’s Honey fig tree approx 8 years old, bought from the City of Vancouver. It is planted just in back of my house, facing south (warmest spot in the yard and excellent light/sun). I live in Kitsilano.

Some of the new growth dies back every winter (around a foot of some of the branches).

the tree only produces 5-6 breba figs each year. Then it produces a ton of main crop figs, which never ripen!

Is there any hope for this tree or is it just too cold a climate for it? I’ve been thinking of turfing it for years and replacing it with a Desert King.

thanks in advance for advice,

carolyn

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@CarolynS Good evening Carolyn and welcome to the forum, I live in the South of England and tried growing a Fig tree, but it is just too cold and it never gave me any fruit. I have friends who grow them in heated greenhouses and they do well. There is a reason these are exotic trees, they are happiest in hot parts of the world.
    Sorry I don't have better news for you, but others on the forum may have other thoughts.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

FIG TEST PROGRESS

See my alternate website KIWIFRUITSALAD2 for the 2009 Fig Test Report.

As of October 2008, I am happy to report some of the following results thus far:
    To date the most productive variety is “Desert King” which comes as no surprise as it is known to be the best producer of Breba crop figs of any variety (per Ira Condit, 1955 Hilgardia where it is known as “King”). Second most productive is the Caprifig “Gillette” which is perhaps the most reliable variety around Puget Sound in that when mature, it does not miss a year of production. Most people however tend to pick “Gillette” before fully ripe and find it dry with little flavor at that stage. “Vashon Violet” (aka “Brunswick”) is perhaps the richest flavored and ranks tops or very high in taste tests. Although it doesn’t produce a lot of Breba crop figs, their size and flavor make up for any lack of quantity. “Tilbury’s Turkey” (actual variety unknown) is producing well for some of the testers and ranks high in taste tests. “Negronne” is doing OK but still not enough production to make a judgement. Both “Peter’s Honey” and “Petit Negri” appear to be losers and probably should not be grown in the Puget Sound Region! The patented fig “Violetta” was added in 2007 at some test sites but hasn’t produced any results yet.

THE PUGET SOUND REGIONAL FIG VARIETY TEST

CarolynS likes this.
  4. CarolynS

CarolynS New Member

Thanks! That's very helpful info.

I made the erroneous assumption that because the tree was sold to me by the City of Vancouver, that it would do okay in our climate!

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

You may try to grow your tree in a container. Container plants start earlier and develope faster, because of warmer soil. You can also avoid die back by placing the plant into garage for winter. And will get more main crop fruits, if you move your tree temporarily indoors in case of some early frosts, and back again, if the weather is favourable again.
    The downside of containerized tree is more work needed - more watering, fertilizing, moving, repotting etc

CarolynS likes this.
  6. CarolynS

CarolynS New Member

Thanks, Sulev. Unfortunately the tree is way too big to put in a pot (the base of the trunk is a good 12-14cm in diameter. And it's around 2.5m or more tall.) I should have done so when it was still small enough.

Also, I don't have a garage but I do have a basement. For future reference, could a potted fig tree survive the winter in a dark basement?

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Check FigsForLife.ca - Home Page

I heard a presentation by the owners of this company at a garden club meeting a few years ago . . . their enthusiasm is contagious and their knowledge impressive.

CarolynS likes this.
  8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Basement is good wintering option, if it isn't too warm. Temperatures around +5ºC (between +1ºC and +10ºC) are optimal for dormant trees. For warmer places there can be lighting issues, as figs may end dormancy and start sprouting too early if it's warm. Then artificial grow lights can avoid legginess.

CarolynS likes this.