Nandina plum passion lost all leaves

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by flowercents, Feb 26, 2009.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I have a Nandina plum passion growing in a large pot outdoors. I moved it to a sheltered but outdoor area in the fall, but noticed that it lost all its leaves. Does anyone know if this plant is semi-evergreen? This is the first winter I've had it, I thought it was evergreen so I'm worried.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It dried out from being out of the rain or froze in the cold despite being moved in. All nandina in the garden here on Camano are also frozen and leafless. Also noticed a hardiness problem with this species in this region after the 1990 winter.

3. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I don't know about Plum Passion but every now and then my Nandina lose their leaves in a harsh winter. They always come back Mine are not in a pot however.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. flowercents

Well, I guess only time will tell. I hope it survived, it is a nice looking plant.

5. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Give it time...it takes awhile for the new leaves to appear. (you could probably tell if it dried out completely and died though)

6. flowercents

I have it up against the South side of our house, under a 2 foot overhang. I would imagine it would have had sufficient moisture, since we live in a two story house, and the sidewalk gets wet in that area when it rains.

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

"the sidewalk gets wet"...but does the Nandina get wet?

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apart from the moisture question that spot might have prevented snow from accumulating all the way around the pot and insulating it. Since I had several established plants growing in the ground on Camano Island appear to have died - the tops are completely shot - one sitting out of the ground up there seems quite likely to have frozen.

Roots of shrubs are much less hardy than tops. A specimen in a pot may appear to have come through cold weather OK because the top remained green but half or more of the root system may actually be dead - immature roots near pot walls are less hardy than mature roots farther back inside. If the top looks dead as well, that is not too promising.