Name of tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by gadjett, Jun 16, 2009.

1. gadjett

gadjett Member

Have some 50-70 ft trees in the back yard that need to come down. Wondering what kind they are and if they are good for winter fireplace burning. The wood when cut is a clean almost white, dense wood - heavy - amongst all the leaves are little green berries - bigger than b-b's, but smaller than holly berries. Any suggestions? These are in East Texas. (one has split 2 times in the last 2 storms - the branches took over the back yard - fun cutting - don't want to burn all if would make good firewood for someone! I wish I knew what a 'tag' is?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Puzzled as to why one of our intrepid Forum folks has not identified your trees! Of course, a photo would be helpful. ??? Could you? ---Are you certain that the 'berries' are a tree product and not, say, some kind of insect-related objects?

As I comprehend it, a 'tag' is an aid in searching. For example, yours could have trees or berries or white wood, etc. Try clicking on the heading 'Tags' and you will get the idea.

Let's get gadjett's trees identified!

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I don't see any photos.... They sound like ornamental cherries of some sort, but pictures would greatly help us to ID these trees. If they are fruitwoods of that size, they're excellent for making furniture etc - not just for burning. Cherrywood makes beautiful tables.

4. gadjett

gadjett Member

I hope I did this right! gadjett

Attached Files:

5. togata57

I think lorax has the right idea.
    Yes, your pix look good! I am sure that we will soon know this tree's name.

6. gadjett

gadjett Member

Thanks! These trees are 60' +/- tall and are going to come down. the previous owners built a privacy fence on the inside of these trees - there is still the original chain link fence on the other side of them~~~ 2 huge branches came down in our back yard in the last 2 wind/rain storms - second one took out our covered swing.... neither hurt either fence!

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe Sugarberry Celtis laevigata; if not that, then some other species of Celtis.

8. gadjett

gadjett Member

Thank you! That has to be it - also commonly called Hackberry, and Wikapedia says it's wood is used for furniture. Wish I knew someone who needed the wood - for cutting them down! LOL!

9. togata57

There has got to be SOMEONE in your area who would be happy to help you out. Wonder if freecycle would be worth a try...? Advertise!---on the net, in your hometown newspaper, on the bulletin board at your local grocery store. Perhaps you have a local furniture or cabinet-makers, house builders, or other craftspeople who could use it. If not that, then I'm SURE someone would be glad to have it for their fireplace.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  10. gadjett

gadjett Member

great ideas! My brain has not been functioning lately - I'll give it some tries!
    Thanks again!

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd guess furniture makers will only be interested if they are large stems, over about 40 or 50cm diameter.