Identification: Name of 4ft cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Bluewing, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I bought this big boy at Walmart about 10-15 years a year or two after they opened for $10. It was about 3' tall at the time.
    Walmart wanted to get rid of ALL of their plants at the time because they wanted to put in a grocery store at that same end. It had no id tag....

Some type of Cereus maybe???

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Euphorbia ammak would be my guess it sure looks like my variegated one :} At least that's what I bought it as and seems to match...

3. Bluewing

Thank you Chungii!

I had no idea what I had was a Euphorbia! I'll bet your variegated version is a knock out! I sure wish this one would STOP growing! It doesn't even get all that much direct sunlight, yet it's keeps getting taller & taller...

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Actually it isn't a cactus, surprisingly it is a succulent.

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

The central stem on mine is 6 foot, it was a single trunk, 3 foot plant when I bought it..... just over 12 months ago..... I think it likes the climate here a bit better :} Euphorbia can be treated as normal plants through most of the year (here) and I water once or twice a fortnight (if it doesn't rain) as you can see it doesn't mind at all.

Attached Files:

6. Bluewing

I thought what I had before was for sure some kind of cactus. Who would have thought:)

Your variegated Euphorbia is really nice, a real pretty one! Unfortunately, your do have a better climate for growing plants and everything else then we do:( Please send some of that good stuff this way.....
    Becuase over-watering is the number one cause of houseplant death, and I've had my share of "death by water" I'm real careful about watering this guy. It doesn't get watered all that often, maybe once a month or so in the summer, and not at all during the winter. It will get it's first drink since last fall sometime in April.

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

You have a really healthy plant so you're obviously doing something right :} It's good to have things grow well but sometimes things can get a little too out of control, a little too quick.

8. Bluewing

Yours look great too! Thanks again. Ty not to get lost in the over-growth:)