Name large varieties: suggestions!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by madhatter, Aug 23, 2008.

1. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

I've seen tall rhodos in Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC. They look like they could be 15ft and about 8 ft wide, but I am sure they are ancient.
    Anyone have the name of varieties I might ask for at the nursery? I need ones that will grow about a ft a year and will reach at least 9ft tall hopefully within 10 years.
    Thanks to everyone who responded.
    Stephanie

P.S. Does anyone know if English Laurels grow faster than the rhodos?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Both will make a large coarse visually overpowering hedge. In addition the laurel is physically overpowering, bulging sideways and growing much taller and broader than expected on most sites on which it is planted. This results in the frequent shearing of it into shorter and narrower geometric shapes than is natural for it - often in winter so that it remains cropped-looking rather than well-furnished for months at a time - irritation with it apparently producing this response rather than one which results in an attractive effect (such as pruning the individual shoots with secateurs at the preferred time in May).

If you do not require a hedge with conspicuous flowers my experience with Fargesia robusta indicates it would make an excellent fast moderately tall screen on moist soils. Otherwise a handsome native evergreen shrub much-used for quick and somewhat vertically oriented growth in landscaping here is Myrica californica. A good fairly quick flowering hedge is Viburnum tinus. None of these produce the oversize leaves of most larger-growing hardy hybrid rhododendrons or English laurel.