Identification: Mystery rubber oysters ?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by fish dr, May 24, 2009.

1. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Found yesterday on the side at the to of a cut-down Garry Oak stump in Victoria BC about six inches from the ground. These are very rubbery and the caps are moist and the gills soft and damp.

The home-grown veggie fed pasture raised free range egg is for scale. The hen was also grief counselled after we took her egg.

There are no visible spores even where one closely overlaps the next. Slugs have had a nibble on the cap and gills, and there is a spot that is pronouncedly purple where they have eaten deep in.

The gills have an odd pink purple/ burgundy tone and the tiny cluster shows purple/burgundy tinted mycelium. These are not blewits but the mycelium is most reminiscent of theirs.

The inner tissue is cream white. The smell is very mushroomy.

Got me totally stumped !

Help!

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm not familiar with Blewits growing ON wood? Just on chips or under trees so definately know these aren't those.
    However, I also dont' believe these are you're common Oyster mushrooms. I've not seen them with any sort of purplish or lavendar colored gill structure. Did you notice stems at all, were the caps perfectly smooth or furry at all under the dampness?
    Do you have a closer image of the gill structure with the mycelum showing by any chance? My computer only lets me view the images about 3in by 4in so is hard to view details.

3. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

This site apparently resamples the photos to accomodate their format.

The original image is hi-res enough for you to see the mycelium, on the small cluster in the third photo.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx! I just sent you an email at GlowNTheDrk.....