In The Garden: Mystery plant showed up in my garden

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by John D, Aug 22, 2018.

1. John D

John D New Member

This plant pictured here showed up in my garden over the summer and we cannot identify it at all. Today, Aug 22nd, it stands about 4 and half feet tall and it has about a 2 and a half foot spread. It just showed up a couple of months ago in the midst of a bunch of zinnia and as it looked not too bad there I left it to see how it would develop. Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Phytolacca, probably P. americana, pokeweed. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the fruits are very pretty.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. John D

John D New Member

Wow, thank-you so much. I've just been reading about the plant, which is an east coast plant, not native to Vancouver Island at all. I also now know that it is the plant that was the subject of Tony Joe White's hit song "Poke Salad Annie". Sure makes me wonder how an east coast plant managed to show up in my garden just this year. Must be some well travelled birds or it's residing somewhere else close by. Thanks again.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

They are planted in gardens around here. You can probably blame a bird for delivering the seed to your garden.