Identification: Mystery Inheritance

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by RavenMane, May 8, 2008.

1. RavenMane

RavenMane Member

I inherited this plant from my elderly aunt. She is 92, and really can't remember what it is. I want to identify it so that I can care for it properly, but also because I have a young child, so I need to know if it is poisonous.

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It's a "Syngonium" Also known as Arrowhead vine. Indirect bright light/dapple sun. Soil should be a little bit on the moist side. Not sure if it's poisonous or not.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

bluewing is correct with the id and care.

it will eventually turn into a vine.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

They are a weed in the subtropics, maybe not over there though...

Ed

5. joclyn

in some areas here, if they are planted outside, they could certainly become a bit invasive...in a pot indoors it's not a problem.

6. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

I think I may have the same plant. Not sure as I am pretty new at this, so maybe I can get some help at the same time.

My neighbour gave me a cutting about a year ago which had three full grown leaves at the time. I started the roots off in water and after about 3 months, I put it into soil. One of the original leaves has died, and there is a total of 7 now (with a new one just starting, very exciting!!) The problem is, that this plant is plain ugly! The stems grow very tall and pretty much straight up, and nothing is growing out to the side. I call this one my Charlie Brown plant. Is there anyway I can speed the growth (I have fed it with Jobes sticks a couple times - didn't help) , and make it look fuller at the same time?

My neighbours 'mother' plant is beautiful with tons of leaves, stems at different heights and growing like crazy. (but not vine like) She told me that she does nothing but water it when she remembers. My light conditions are exactly the same as hers.

Here is a picture of Charlie Brown to see what I mean

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yours looks like an Alocasia - Edleigh may know which one.

Give it more light! and it will stop being so straggly looking and leggy because it won't be reaching out like it is now.

Also, does that pot have drainage holes? None of the ariods (of which Alocasia is part) like to have wet or muddy feet. Re-potting into unglazed clay using orchid mix or something with a lot of coir or peat may also help it be happier.

8. joclyn

i agree, it's probably an alocasia. similar looking to the arrowhead without getting viney as it ages...and they're both aroids.

my first thought is it needs more light...

also, what kind of soil is it in and does that pot have drain holes?

9. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I agree it needs more light, however I think it "Syngonium".
    There are clones that tend toward clumping but most usually start
    running stems eventually.
    HTH
    Chris

10. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

Thanks everyone!!

The pot does have drainage holes, and I water it weekly till just a drop or two drips out of the hole. The soil is just a regular potting mix I picked up, I am not sure what the ratios are.

I will move it to a sunnier spot and let everyone know how its doing.

Thanks again for the help.

11. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like everything other than the light situation is in order, whether it's a Syngonium or Alocasia. I lean toward Syngonium myself, but once it gets some sun and fills out a bit, post a follow-up and we'll see.

12. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris, Syngonium, mainly due to the leaf shape. Its just hasn't got different colours on the leaves, although more light may fix that...

Ed