Identification: mystery house plant having babies

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by trishp, May 31, 2005.

1. trishp

trishp Member

Hi. I am new to this. I was given what i was told was a Mexican Hat plant. I was given about 40 little tiny babies and they grew up quite big. Now they are all having babies of thier own. When I reseached the net on Mexican Hat Plant this is not what I have. The plant itself is all green, kind of succulent, likes sun and sit in water. The leaves are wide at bottom and to a tip . The babies come all round the leaves and you can just brush them off with your hand and make new ones. Anyone know what this is? Anyone want some? I hate to get rid of them. Apparently they grow quite big, mine are about 6 inches high now. Thanks I don't have a digital camera so don't have a picture.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. trishp

trishp Member

Tks Eric. I t looks just like that but where all the nubs are on teh leaves are now babies. What is the name of it.

Trish

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is mother of thousands or Mexican hat plant, Bryophyllum daigremontianum; syn, Kalanchoe daigremontiana. There is some variation in the plant so yours may have a different form. If you try an image search, you will see a lot of photos on the web.

5. pixie

pixie Member

Do these plants flower....Mine is just making babies lots....

6. This is a proper description of the plant. This plant if it is the one mentioned above does not "flower" as you may hope. Other varieties of Kalanchoe will flower but generally the flower is used for reproduction and this plant reproduces asexually. Hence, the little babies on the leaves. I have had this plant around for six years plus and it is very resilient. It can live in a cup on the counter or live without water in a pot for a long time "months". The offspring are very adaptable to many conditions and as long as the roots stay moist on a wet paper towel they will live. Also the plants do not require lots of fertilizer and will do well with a mild organic liquid fertilizer on avg once a moonth