Mystery evergreen

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Buddleia, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

I'm realizing the photos are not great so I can retake if necessary.
    It's an open and airy evergreen that I believe was mislabeled at a garden centre but I love it anyway, just need to confirm what he is so I know the best place to plant him.
    It was labelled as a dwarf false cypress, chamaecyparis filifera nana but to me those are usually available in garden centres about 2 feet high in pots. This is about 4 feet high and 2 feet wide at the bottom. It does not appear to be pruned or anything. It does look like a chamaecyparis but I've never seen such a sparse looking one before.
    Many thanks for any assistance here.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Certainly one of the thread-foliage cultivars of Chamaecyparis pisifera; they often look rather thin like this, particularly when young.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sawara cultivars often polymorphic and unstable, this could be a partial reversion to 'Filifera' or the grower was supplying rooted side-branches of 'Filifera' as 'Filifera Nana' instead of the true item.

Pot is way too small, be sure to wash off potting soil and pull roots open at planting.

4. Buddleia

It's in a 2 gallon pot at present. So what should I expect from this mutant in terms of width and height so I can plant it in a good spot, any ideas? Do you think it will fill out and become bushier like the variety on the label? I'm hoping it will stay spindly, but a bit bigger ultimately.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I can see the pot in your picture. Expect a small tree in time, the more time the less small. Growth will be slow.

6. Buddleia

Thank you!