Mystery cycad

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gabis, Apr 14, 2013.

1. gabis

gabis Member

Hello everyone,

So last august I collected some cycad seeds from a cycad in Sevilla in the "Los Jardines del Alcazar". The seeds were underneat the tree by the hundreds and I'm pretty positive they couldn't have come from some other plant. So I planted them here in Qc, I now have 3 healty specimens that are about 6 months old but the thing is they don't look at all like other cycad seedling! Someone on this forum identified the mother plant as a King Sago Palm but the seedlings are nothing like the ones they have at the nursery. So here are some pictures of the seedlings (about 8 inches high now) and a picture of the mother plant. What do you think?

Thanks in advance !

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I agree with your diagnosis, those look nothing like cycas seedlings. Maybe Setaria palmifolia?
    My guess is a grounds keeper or animal moved them out of sight under the cycad.

3. gabis

gabis Member

The seeds resembled the seeds of my washingtonias.. Too big to be Setaria palmifolia maybe?? Well I guess I'll have to wait and see what it becomes it sure looks like some kind of palm so far.. Any other ideas?

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Red/purple of the stem is what got me thinking of a grass.
    Washingtonia seedlings can be red I see now checking online.
    If they are palms they look light starved.

5. gabis

gabis Member

Oh I meant the seeds were the size of seeds from a washingtonia, the seedlings are somewhat different. I checked online for the palm grass seeds and they were tiny compared to what I planted.

6. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

If they were cycad seeds they would be covered in a fleshy "fruit", underneath which the seed itself would look like a nut (with a hard shell). What you collected sounds more like palm seeds.