Mysterious Mould only found with Schultz Potting Soil

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by enigmaticeasteregg, Jan 4, 2010.

1. enigmaticeasteregg

enigmaticeasteregg Member

Hello everybody. The soil of every plant I've potted in the past while with the soil from a new bag of Schultz potting soil has had mould (I'm assuming that's what it is) grow in it. It hasn't seemed to affect the plants at all. Is it the fertilizer? I don't think I'm overwatering, as I haven't had this problem with any other plant. Any idea as to what's happening?

The last picture is bad, but I included it to show the mould (blurry white spots) appearing on the top of the soil.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

GACK! Thanks for the warning, e.e.e. I will shun Schultz!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

schultz is a good product and i prefer to use it over any other brand - problem is finding it these days.

i NEVER use potting medium with fertilizer already mixed in, though - schultz brand or any other.

that's more likely the issue and possibly that you're watering the plants too frequently. also, that glass jar would retain too much moisture and mold is likely to grow in it, regardless of type or brand of soil medium; especially if you have it in full sunlight.