Appreciation: Mycelium canoe.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by togata57, Apr 21, 2020.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

How much of CO2 is emitted by fungi each year? More or less than anthropogenic emissions?

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for posting this link @togata57 - interesting project!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I like this question @Sulev - I have some pieces of info & ideas to share on this, and I am hoping you and others might have some contributions to add on this.

• Interestingly we humans through our production of bread, beer, cheese and similar mass production of yeast operations, employ CO2 from fungi at industrial levels to create these foods. I doubt the CO2 is in significant amounts compared with other anthro emissions ... but since humans are in large supply it would be interesting to calculate.
    • CO2 release is required as part of the global system of a balance of various substances, so the normally released amounts by the fungal population overall would presumably be useful.
    • The obligate symbiotic relationships between fungi and over 90% of plants results in fungi indirectly contributing to massive carbon fixation. My impression is that this would be far greater than CO2 emission amounts.
    • Saprobic fungi, breaking down indigestible materials into that which can be digested by plants and animals, could I assume be counted in the contribution to both carbon fixation and release.

I wonder if there is any material out there on the above questions.