my windmills, again...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by AndyMan2486, Sep 25, 2006.

1. AndyMan2486

AndyMan2486 Member

Well as some of you may recall from the past few months, I had purchased four windmills that are a year and a half old (I think). Anyways, over the summer I posted some pictures because I was conserned that they may be dying because they were getting brown spots on some of the fronds. Well now the situation has changed, I am at college now, and the palms are at room temp, and I put on the lamp sometimes, which I have a full spectrum light bulb in there, which I was told was good for mimicing the suns light. Well now I have noticed that some of the small fronds are turnings all brown, and shriveling in close. I tried to take a picture to show you, but they all came out pretty bad.. Any ideas how to fix this? My watering is when the soil seems dry enough, so I dont think its over/under watered..

Thanks!

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's a tough one to answer as I've never grown these indoors. I do know that inexplicably, otherwise healthy seedlings just give up and expire. I'm not saying that this is your case. Make sure that when you water, ensure all the root system is watered. Circulating and fresh air are vital as is varing temps between day and night.

Cheers, LPN.

3. palmera

palmera Active Member

I overwintered a 2 gallon 'windmill' palm indoors last year from Oct.-Mar. and it did quite well. It seemed to appreciated a nearby open window and frequent misting of the leaves. I let the soil dry out completely between waterings and then drenched it in the tub, this in hopes of keeping the soil well flushed. I used a 1/4 strength 20/20/20 fertilizer once a month. I did not use lights but had it in a south facing window so it did get some direct sun. It actually grew a new leaf by spring.

I might think that your palm isn't getting enough fresh air/humidity on it's leaves. Can you give it some outdoor time? These palms don't really like to be inside perminantly...I guess I'm saying you might try sending it on vacation for a while!