My spruces are brown inside

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by patrickhahl, Apr 17, 2006.

1. patrickhahl

patrickhahl Member

My 2 year old Alberta Spruces are worrying me this year. They were purchased and planted in the spring of 2004. That year, and for 2005, the plants did well. This year, while doing my spring cleaning, I have noticed that the brushes are turning brown on the inside. Decent green coverage on the outside, but I'm starting to think that they are on the way out. It's still cool here on Long Island now, but the shrubs are planted in the full sun, and get that for most of the day. I think I used Holly Tone last year, but wanted to ask your opinions on fertilizer and watering for the spring and summer of this year. As far as I can tell, I have not seen any spider mites that I have read love this plant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Hahl

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Evergreens normally have brown and dried needles lower down and in the middle every year that you can just brush away - that's old stuff. If it gets worse though (more than 10-15% of the foliage) it's possible it's gotten too wet for too long. Now would be a good time to fertilize though if it's ok.

3. patrickhahl

patrickhahl Member

Rima, Thanks for the info, I should just brush away whatever "brown" I can? That I guess would help keep the plant healthy. As far as the fertilizer goes, any plant type? Are spikes OK? Should I use something special for just the spruces?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Fertilizing Conifers from the University of Minnesota Extension service answers your questions, I think.