my ponytail

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by yenika, Sep 20, 2008.

1. yenika

yenika Member

Hi I plant my ponytail outsite but i notice that in the middle it got rotten and it broke. the plant is growing again but i feel bad about the top. I want to try to save it. there is any way i can do it? i put it back in the soil but i think the leaves is drying . Can you help me.
    thanks.

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Prognosis is not good. It probably won't be growing much longer. Its time to contact the next of kin and make proper arrangements.

Where exactly in the United States are you, if you don't mind revealing your actual place of origin where you were growing the plant, that is.

3. yenika

yenika Member

i live in miami florida the climate is humid and hot. I think the water rotted my plant i have next to a faucet. Here is a picture of how it is now. What i want to know is can i replant the top in the soil since the plant broke in the middle and i want to save it if it's possible.

Attached Files:

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The one in the ground looks well on the way to recovery, and will develop into a multi-stem individual which looks older than it actually is (branching usually only develops with greater age). Just be careful not to give it more water than the clouds provide naturally.

Should be possible to root the top. Cut off closer to the top to remove any diseased tissue closer to where it broke (and sterilise the knife first, too!). Then leave it to dry off for 2 or 3 weeks (maybe even a month) to form a good callus on the base. Then plant into well-drained soil, and let it take root; again, don't water it.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Seeing it tells a different story.

The stem was most likely physically broken by someone not diseased.

The plant is putting out several lateral shoots. It will grow bushy and will eventually become top heavy.

The plant will never need any additional watering other than rainfall in your climate.

6. yenika

yenika Member

Thank you so much for all you comment.
    I'm going to replanted in another part of my garden because where is now, water run every day since the faucet is there.
    thanks again
    yeni