My Ponytail Palm has brown leaves :(

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Nicole0426, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers. I have had my ponytail palm for a few years and it has just flourished! I recently moved and it is starting to get brown leaves, mostly at the bottom. However a lot of other leaf tips are also turning brown. I keep cutting off the brown tips and pulling the completely brown leaves in hopes that will help but my plant just keeps producing brown leaves. I don't want it to die! The leaf tips start to brown and then it moves to the entire leaf! Is this normal? Any advice would be so helpful!

Attached is a picture of my plant

One of the leaves..

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It doesn't look that bad, and it's going to lose some leaves. You would worry if they were from the top; from the bottom would be normal.
    But you're saying its condition has changed, since you moved it. What is the difference in the conditions at the old location and the new location? More or less light? More or fewer other plants around?

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I concur with the previous response. In addition you should consider the difference in water quality between locations. (e.g. hard vs. soft water; chlorinated vs. untreated water)

4. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Thanks for the response! It went from a very bright room to a medium to low light room. I have moved it again to a brighter room where it will most likely stay. Also I think the water at my new house has more chlorine in it. So it's been getting tap water. I bought some distilled and am letting the tap water sit for a few days before using it. Do you think I need to give it more water? The leaves are crunchy. But I wonder if that is from too much chlorine?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would guess that it was getting too much water, if you went to a lower light room but gave it the same amount of water. Make sure you don't leave it sitting in water.

I've never paid attention to chlorine (or to brown tips), but my neighbour collects water in bottles and only waters from bottles that have had water sitting in them. Her plants all look excellent, so maybe there is something to that. I myself drink from a water jug that I keep on the counter, with a cloth over to keep the dust and bugs out, but letting the chlorine escape. I have too many plants to keep enough watering cans around with water sitting in them, since I try to water everything at the same time, to make it easy for the neighbour who cares for them all when I'm away.