My palms 2008

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Tom24, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Hello everbody Its been awhile my coconut palm is huge and growing good. My other palms are also doing good I have about a dozen christmas tree palms that have about three double fronds on them. Any way heres some pics of some of my palms. I will have more recent pics of my sabel minor and various others. My one Question is do some of the washington's go into hibernation mode because I have two that have not grown an inch since fall but they are healthy and green they just won't seem to sheed that new frond that is halfway out? Thank you in advance for any help.

Tom 24

Attached Files:

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

A remarkable indoor garden. Washingtonias thrive in heat and sun, so I wouldn't worry about yours slowing down in its indoor habitat.

Sabal minor is usually an understory palm, so in the wild it gets something resembling full sun only in winter after the overhead trees have dumped their leaves. It should do well indoors, but may need a deep pot to accomodate its stem, which tends to burrow down.

3. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Thank You Dave from Florida, I have been working on my palm garden for 2 years now. I have new pictures of my Sabel Minor has 9 fronds on it now. You said it needed a deep pot how deep would you say is nessecary. This is my only one and my girlfriend loves it so I would like to keep it growing good. Look tommorow for pictures of it and pictures of my Phoenix Canaries! I have the Sabel Minor in a 5 gallon pot right now. Thank you again

Tom24

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Sounds like the Sabal is so far doing nicely. No need to change pots unless it seems to need more space. The spot where the stem stops growing down and moves upward (or at least sends leaves up) is called the "heel" and should be pretty obvious when you repot the plant.

This habit of growth is typical of Sabal--even a young Sabal palmetto won't have an above-ground stem for quite a long time, then it'll get busy and start growing.