My own shot at grafting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by koiboy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. koiboy

koiboy Member

Ok, so here it is, my first attempts at grafting. After doing considerable reading on the subject (including our very own K4's wonderful contributions) I decided to give it a go. I started off in the early fall by purchasing about 400 small maples to serve as understock. I got the trees from a local nursery that grows liners for only $.42 each. They had been growing in 2 inch by 2 inch containers and I re-potted them into one gallon containers.

Next I created a PVC frame that sits on one side of my house that I initially covered with shade cloth to act as a frost barrier during the winter. I guess in retrospect it wasn't necessary since maples are cold hardy to much colder than it gets in California's central valley. A couple of weeks ago I removed the shade cloth and covered the structure with 4 mil plastic to create an unheated greenhouse. Not all of the trees were big enough (in my opinion) to graft on, so I separated the trees I intended to graft from the ones I wasn't. I cleaned up the limbs and then trimmed the tops to let them bleed out a little.

Starting a few days ago I started the grafting process out of my garage. I bring in about 10 trees at a time, graft them, and then put them back in the greenhouse. After clipping off the scions I intend to use for each session I then label a tree marker and wrap a grafting rubber around the place I make my cut. I use a really expensive grafting knife that I got as a gift, and after trying out a knife with a brand new razor blade in it to compare I have to say the grafting knife wins hands down. I'm basically following K4's grafting process. I make sure to place a plastic bag over the graft and then put it back in the green house. So far I've done over 70 grafts, but as it's only been a few days I have no idea if I am going to have any success. But...I'm hopeful!

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

WOW!! Looks great Koi! I love your little greenhouse - very ingenious. I wish you every success. Just remember not to water unless they're getting bone dry, and then just a sip.

The agonizing part now begins! If you're impatient, as I am, waiting 3 or 4 weeks to see the first grafts start sprouting can be torture. I've had some that took 6 weeks to sprout! Ughhh! But when they do start to sprout the excitement you feel is tremendous. At first just a few will sprout, then more, then suddenly the whole lot of them will be bursting out and it will start to look like a miniature forrest before you know it. One thing I hadn't really paid attention to before I started grafting is what a bud actually does. In my mind I had associated a bud with a single leaf, or maybe a couple of leaves. Not so - each bud generates a whole stem with many leaves. So those puny looking scions can sprout into quite impressive little trees once they get going.

Please keep us posted as your adventure unfolds! :)