My Japanese garden from the past.

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Keith Elliott, May 16, 2021.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Margot and Acerholic like this.
  2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

I remember looking at the last such moon in 2019. We were standing right in the middle of the road with binoculars watching the moon.

Someone was driving up the road and stopped and wondered if something was wrong. No, just looking at the moon. OK, and off they went, probably shaking their heads.

I see the forecast for next Wednesday is for possible showers, which means cloudy. So we may not get to see that one, shame.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @Keith Elliott
    In reply to your question about reliable maples and affordable ! in Okanagan

Our place is rustic and left to be what it is wild — we faithfully pull and burn invasives so nature can come back

Ponderosa pine // some Douglas fir coming in now // Douglas maple // some sage & rabbit brush // bunchgrass //

Saskatoon and wild rose — And LOTS of spring wildflowers plus some milkweed which butterflies rest and feed upon

It was Range land yrs ago - and you know how easily land is damaged then weed species march right on in

We have lots of that weed that came in cattle & horse hay in the late 1960s / early 70s .... Russian knapweed

We also have lots of « hounds tongue » (it spreads by sticking in to cattle or wildlife fur (or one’s own hiking socks And boots) )

Invasive oyster plant - a lemon yellow flower that is « phototropic » (it closes at dusk, opens during sunshine and follows the sun as it proceeds across the sky )

Back to spending money! When I do buy a plant as a gift for someone - quickly I go to GardenWorks (I think formerly Art Knapps) in Penticton near Okanagan College campus

The one place I certainly know about - and it is huge now - is Bylands in Westbank aka West Kelowna —

So I looked on their website quickly & they show retailers in Salmon Arm & Chase and Vernon etc that carry their product

Including Pedro - your post above

I have heard nice things about Swan Lake in Vernon

I have attached pix I took fr screen to show many retail outlets for Bylands grow nursery

Go to their site and there is a search to find retailers in their Contact Us area

I am overwhelmed by how many diff J Maples there are so I bet if you contact them - they can tell you what would do best in your micro climate on the Shuswap Lake

I hope that helps

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott likes this.
  4. Keith Elliott

@Georgia Strait...wow, a veritable encyclopaedia of information! Thank you!

Looks like I won't have any slack time this long weekend. We'll be off to Salmon Arm shortly, and when I get back I will let you know if I have had any success or not.

5. Keith Elliott

Our trip to Salmon Arm was moderately successful.

These photos were taken at Buckerfields.

IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4534.JPG IMG_4535.JPG IMG_4536.JPG IMG_4537.JPG IMG_4538.JPG IMG_4539.JPG IMG_4540.JPG IMG_4542.JPG IMG_4543.JPG

All of these plants are quite small. And all except the last two were priced at $92.99 (plus tax of course) bringing the price to $104.15.

The last two, which they called Redleaf Maple, were only $24.99. I was about to take one when Val exited the store with her purchases complete and I had to drive over to the big stacks of potting soil to load some in the car.

Probably just as well I didn't get one, as realistically there is no ground prepared yet for that purpose.

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  6. Keith Elliott

Remaining photos.

IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4548.JPG IMG_4541.JPG IMG_4545.JPG IMG_4546.JPG IMG_4547.JPG

The Bloodgood's were well over 4' tall, but all had their lower branches removed and had a cardboard sheath over them, as you can see. I don't know why this might be, but perhaps one of our experts could explain that one? Priced at $100 I think.

We did go to Pedro's, but they had a very limited supply and seemed to be limited to Bloodgood's again (at $70 each) and an unnamed laceleaf type of decent size, at $150.

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Soooooo sensible Keith. Far more restrained than I would have been. Lol.
    Thanks for sharing these from your trip to the nursery.
    D

Keith Elliott likes this.