My holiday pics

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Michael F, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Two trees for you to have a go at . . .

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

No takers?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I figured you were on holidays - I have some conifers from my trip which I'll post to Plant ID sometime soon. I didn't go to the northern and mid-interior California after all - too snowy.

As for these, I'm browsing through "Conifers Around the World" by Debreczy and Rácz (the non-English version). I'll find something eventually...

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, may as well just visit this thread on GardenWeb, I guess.

5. Michael F

That's the easy way to do it! ;-))

6. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Michael, I do not recall seeing this thread come up last week, perhaps that is why there were no takers.
    Following Daniel's link, I found Tetraclinis articulata. I could not open the two photographs there, but apparently that is the identification of the second one. Of all the times that I have paged through Van Gelderen, Conifers: An Illustrated Encyclopedia (Timber Press 1996), I don't recall seeing Tetraclinis. Perhaps I just missed it or else it is still too rare. The first one is a conifer as well! However, if you were touring Morocco, I must say that it is definitely not Abies marocana. Is A. marocana no longer considered a subspecies of Abies pinsapo?

7. Michael F

Hi Laurie,

The other one is Cupressus atlantica, an endangered species endemic to the Oued-n-Fiis valley south of Marrakech.

You should have been able to open the photos, they just link back to this site! (same ones as at the top of this page)

Tetraclinis isn't in Van Gelderen as it is a subtropical species, only zone 9 hardy at best, and can't be grown in the Netherlands - subtropical conifers are very poorly represented in the book.