My HIBISCUS has not flowered in 18 months

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by TWHayner, Dec 21, 2009.

1. TWHayner

TWHayner Member

I have an Hibiscus rosa-sinensis that is five years old about 5 feet across and 7 feet high. We live in Toledo OH and the plant has lived in our family room all of the time and has North facing Large Windows. It has been feed with a good balanced fertilizer every 3 months and regularly watered, last summer after no flowers for a year it was replanted to a 24 inch diameter pot after local advice and still no flowers. All of the leaves are good green and have no pests. After the first 3 and 1/2 years it always had large red flowers all year long then all the flowers stopped We are now looking for any help.

Thanks in advance Tom and Brenda

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Smaller container size would not have stopped it from blooming, unless in such poor condition it was hardly doing anything. Some other factor is more likely to be the cause. You have to figure out what change occurred in its situation to cause a falling off of flowering.

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

sorta sounds like its not getting enough light the hibiscus i have that donot bloom allot are in shady areas

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What was the size of the previous pot? If the plant was moved to a larger pot, it could be busy making roots rather than flowers. Sounds as if the only change has been with the pot---light, location, water, etc. same---so it'd be my primary suspect for a cause.

Do agree with mikey, too.
    When, where, and how much do you prune your plant?

5. Ron B

>it could be busy making roots rather than flowers<

Such behavior seems most unlikely to me. Note also lack of bloom for a year was what prompted re-potting.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Note also that TW does not inform us as to the original pot size.

So: Plants repotted into markedly larger pots are not, sometimes, stimulated to make roots?
    'Unlikely' perhaps. Impossible, no.

7. Ron B

I was talking about bloom stopping because the roots were growing. Plants aren't quite like battleships with captains that send parts of the crew to different decks in response to different circumstances. There are seasonal growth patterns in cold climate plants that occur every year regardless of individual situations, such as terminal stem buds opening in spring, with roots growing at the same time because the buds produce hormones when they open that stimulate the roots to grow.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years