My Crimson Queen

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Johan, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Johan

Johan Member

Hi There Maple lovers!

This is a few pics of my young Crimson Queen. But as you can see on the second picture her leaves are sort of dying... Any suggestions as what could be the cause of this.

Any and all replies will be grately appreciated.

Greetings from a sunny South Africa,

Johan F Kruger

Attached Files:

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Crimson Queen

It's young yet. Give it time for the roots to establish. A little afternoon shade would help. Don't give it much fertilizer. Apply water generously as needed. This amount of burn looks negligible to me. I wish all of mine down, or up here in Alabama looked as good as yours.

3. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Is there any chance that there is reflected heat off the wall near the tree? My little Crimson Queen died after about two years due to heat stress and it was carefully protected with a lot of afternoon shade. I put it down to not being kind enough to it. You learn by your mistakes I guess. A new one will be my Christmas present to myself..

Stephen

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Judging from the water patern displayed in the lower left pic. you will want to check
    that the leaves of the plant are not being blasted from what looks like an irigation system. We nearly lost 10 out of 100 plants before in clicked. Also remember to have your irrigation system upated as your plants grow.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a little bit of wind or heat burn to me. Nothing to worry too much about. So long as it is sited properly and kept out of too strong a sun it wil be fine.
    Maples are an under storey tree in nature. They like a little shade. Keep it watered if your climate is hot. Over here in Ireland we never have to worry too much about watering :)
    This is a crimson queen that I almost lost by being TOO wet .... dug it up when I saw it was having a hard time... to discover that the roots were sodden. Raised it by some 6 inches and it hasn't looked back since.
    (it is named as garnet but it was sold to me as crimson queen ....)
    Sam
    http://www.btinternet.com/~fujiyamagarden/pics/garnet.JPG

6. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Douglas - just to clarify, was the problem due to the sun shining on wetted leaves, or to the wetting of the leaves itself? And if the latter, what was the mechanism for damage?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  7. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Just to clarify...

The "Douglas" who has been partcipating in this thread lists his location as Prince George, in northern British Columbia (1000 miles north of Vancouver and UBC Botanical Garden).