My Crimson Queen- updated situation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tugo, Oct 3, 2008.

1. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi to all.

My Crimson Queen, transplanted on last May (Zone 9), background posts are;

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=39168
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

Although tried to make some temporary sun screening, all the leaves got dry during august.
    Having read in your posts that this is a normal situation. Now with the mild weather of October, I am expecting some new leaves to grow. Or am I dreaming?

Since 3 weeks there are several new buds I see but still no progress with them. The branches and the trunk are soft and green.

Since last 2 weeks, almost every day we have rains and the temperatures are around 75 day time and 59 at night.

So pls I need your comments, if it is the normal situation for a young and newly transplanted JM and if the leaves will be coming back again.

During transplantation I had not given any fertilisers and till now also. What do you suggest about fertilising and when.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Tugrul
    DSC05110.JPG

DSC05142.JPG

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

fertilize in dicember with mature fertilize of cow or hourse in april with onr chimical fertilize like Osmocote(Bayer)
    is normal situation for young maple in zone 9...

3. paxi

paxi Active Member

Even if they do not form new leaves, I think that the new buds (and otherwise soft branches) are a good sign. I would resist the temptation to overwater and I hope that things would come back fine next spring. I don't know anything about fertilizer but Alex, I am surprised that you would fertilize in december. I had heard that fertilizing when dormant is not the best?

4. tugo

tugo Active Member

Thanks alex and paxi; hope to see all well in spring.

Can it be because it was not fertilized during transplantation? Quite long time till spring?

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@paxi mature fertilize is good in winter ,because only "air part"(leaves and buds) of maples sleep ,the root system is however in "movement"and mature fertilize have natural elements good for the soil ,another use is protection for root system from the freeze in later winter.this method in Italian is named "concimazione di copertura"= covered fertilize
    @tugo not fertilize during transplantation because the fertilize is in pot by nursery,this fertilize is ok for the first month of life in soil

6. tugo

tugo Active Member

alex, here we also apply "concimazione di copertura"= covered fertilize; to keep from frost by pouring some cow manure (ofcourse after treated with lime) on the root soil, a kind of mulching we can say.
    I was not sure for JM and for such a young plant. Thanks will do so. Hoping to see new leaves on spring.