My cactus garden

Discussion in 'Gardening for Water Conservation' started by Johnts71, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

about 10 months later, here it is.

2. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

ok now

Attached Files:

3. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

more with some new additions this year

Attached Files:

4. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

love the middle picture, very Zen like.

5. Amazonica

Amazonica Member

Hi Johnts71,

Your miniature desert landscape will be quite striking when the plants are bigger. In the meantime, I love your little details - the Las Vegas sign and the horseshoe! If you're looking to add some vertical, colour and texture interest and quickly fill the space out until they've grown, you could try adding some containers. A barrel with a scrubby desert-y tree, or some red and yellow pots for a South-Western look... Containers are lots of fun and easy to deal with. If you don't like them where they are, just move them around.

Also, Ron B, you mention the current edition of Sunset magazine... but Sunset publishes different versions for different regions in North America. Is there an online version of the story you can point us to? :-)

6. Amazonica

Amazonica Member

I just checked the Sunset website (sunset.com) for the particular desert oasis story, but not surprisingly it's been taken down. (I think they only keep stories up there for a couple of months or so.) Your garden is getting to be an oasis of its own though!

7. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I had some birds give me some native bushes the natural way LOL! I will take pictures of those too. Im kinda scared about how big some of these are gonna get. Next year I will probably have to prune the opuntias. I got the cholla supported by 2 three foot sticks, im afraid its going to fall. btw i got some fake lizards and snakes in there too but no pics of them on here. I will have to check out the sunset mag place. I post a lot on

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/

Those guys are great and helped me out a whole lot about getting started.

I should post pics of the first day of creating my cacti garden..Im so glad I took these cause I can look back and see how the transformation has evolved.

thanks for all the responses!

8. WillandLynn

WillandLynn Member

Hi Johnts71, your garden has definitely evolved, enjoyed all the pictures especially the Saguaro pic with the little Kokopelli Indian figures. Might I ask where you got them? Well done, just got a few ideas for building my own little Xeriscape.

9. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I bought those at Lowe's. I thought I had run out of room but I bought 2 more cacti that wont get too big.

Parodia leninghausii and a Parodia magnifica

Im done adding for this year :)