My apple trees and my cherry trees have lots of blossoms. Then the blossom died and no fruit was

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Rick43215, May 26, 2021.

1. Rick43215

Rick43215 New Member

Produced. I wonder why this happened this spring 2021 in Vancouver?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

My cherry and apple trees in northwest Burnaby have a pretty good fruit set this year, despite very few honeybees or mason bees. Your trees may need to be cross-pollinated with compatible varieties. Have you had fruit in previous years?

3. Rick43215

Rick43215 New Member

Yes. These trees are quite old. I had tons of blooms. They were also blooming at the same time quite a few trees different varieties.

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Sometimes there is too cold for successful pollination, sometimes there is too warm. Sometimes it is too rainy. Sometimes there in not enough pollinators. Sometimes a neighbor removes a tree, that was the best or the only pollinator for your trees. Sometimes birds peck all the flower buds. Sometimes there are some pests or diseases or nutritional deficiencies. It's really hard to tell, what was the main actor in your case.

Dr. Green Thumb likes this.
  5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hard to imagine it being the cause, but I note that until today the region was 15 cm short of average rainfall. I see some plants having a dry look to them. Today and tomorrow's rain should catch us up a lot.

6. Rick43215

Rick43215 New Member

I know there are some decent diseases that might cause this. I know cherry trees can get Blossom rot. Can this disease transferred to apple trees?