Music / flora connection

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by yousatonmycactus, Feb 27, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

Re: Small change to displaying threads

Is it too soon to suggest a music/flora connection? Perhaps as an adjunct to stumpers?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could you expand on your idea a bit? I don't think I fully understand it.

3. yousatonmycactus

The thought came to mind with Eric's response to my posting of the strawberry field disaster. He stated "are these field forever"...

If we have our speakers on, even the Botany Photo of the Day could have an accompanying musical theme. I didn't say it would be easy... Perhaps even a suggestion for the daily Botany Photo theme would suffice.

As an aside, I will be attending a Charter Member meeting tomorrow for the propossed Ventura Botanical Garden. We are researching marketing plans, sites, donations (both floral and monetary), as well as guidelines for this enthusiastically pursued idea. Any imput is gratefully accepted.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm... that would be fun. I'm not sure I'm musically literate enough to suggest songs though, unless you want a bunch of R.E.M. tunes.

Let us know how the Ventura BG meeting went. That's the second garden being planned in your area that I've heard about this past year.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think copyright issues would cause us great headaches if we tried to add music, but it is an interesting idea.

6. Daniel Mosquin

I think Guy was thinking along the lines of suggesting a song to go with the daily photo.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, I was thinking he meant to add the sound! Musical references can make good Stumper clues.

8. yousatonmycactus

The VBG meeting was primarily updating the current status of the fiduciary/financial aspect of getting a non profit going. There are, to date, 30 "card carrying" charter members at $100 each and a generous $10,000 seed money contribution. Obviously, we have a long way to go.

I gave a report of the various suitable garden sites throughout the City of Ventura, although the City has NOT offered to donate any park land so far. Another member reported that Governor Schwarzenegger and a private group of investors had consumated a deal for a very large parcel of ranch land in our foothills (actually two separate parcels) for a propossed development and that there was a strong possibility of a property donation/dedication for our garden.

More updates as they occur.