'Mushrooms engineered into eco-friendly packing material'.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by togata57, Mar 20, 2012.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This looks like a great idea. I hope that it really takes off. I hate having to throw out all of the Styrofoam packaging that surrounds so many products; it's not recyclable in Burnaby.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be a problem if the packaging gets damp while still in use, it would just collapse.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Michael, the same could be said of the paper & corrugated cardboard which form a large part of traditional packaging. I suspect that most of the items being shipped would not survive a wetting either.

Can I feed it to my chickens? Can I eat it myself? My kids think that the Mueslix I eat for brekkies tastes like cardboard as it is.

I already put a lot of shredded paper & cardboard into my compost. I think I will just start a garden out back of my local Walmart - save moving all this packaging stuff around the countryside...Hmm? there's a thought...

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Michael, I'm thinking mainly about electronic products that would be damaged by moisture and often are surrounded by styrofoam for protection. That would be a perfect application for this type of product.