mushroom starter kits or spore sources

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by steelchef, Mar 2, 2012.

1. steelchef

steelchef Member

I'm looking for a place to order a starter kit or spore that I can experiment with. Newly retired, I need something different than tomatoes, potatoes etc to diversify into.
    Any and all info gratefully accepted.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

There are lots of Web sites that offer kits for growing several types of mushrooms, although I haven't tried any of them. Just Google "mushroom kits canada". From what I've read, the most reliable ones are the Oyster mushroom kits.

3. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

My dad ordered shiitake plugs from fungi.com. Shipped to Canada no problem.

4. steelchef

steelchef Member

Thanks for the replies. I was rather looking for local, (BC) solutions or personal referrals. I'm a bit leary when purchasing online. Some nut trees I ordered a while back did not survive and I was told, 'too bad, you must have done something wrong.' It was only $100 but why take the risk if a positive reference is available.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Steelchef,

I know, through the Vancouver Mycological Society, three local small businesses which supply spawn/kits/related supplies and info.
    I'm not connected with any of them commercially, so I think it is OK if I post this information in this forum:

Bill Chalmers - Western Biologicals
    Scott Henderson
    Dylan Stan - Backyard Bounty Collective

In my experience they are all good people, responsible providers of spawn & info, all genuinely stoked about mushrooms.

cheers,
    frog

6. steelchef

steelchef Member

Hey frog!

I've tried Western Biological but their published email address is no longer valid. I've now sent inquiries to Scott and Dylan and am awaiting their replies.
    I really appreciate the info. Hopefully it will provide a solution to getting a start in this fascinating field.