Identification: Mushroom Identification.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Beth, May 23, 2007.

1. Beth

Beth Member

I would like some help identifying these mushrooms. This is our first spring in our house and these mushrooms are flourishing in the garden plot we dug. I have a bit of added concern because we decided to start some of our garden vegetables indoors, this spring, and we used outdoor dirt for it. It would seem that these little guys like it inside, too.

I have a child and a cat... Should I be concerned? (For the record, the mushrooms are shiny because they were covered with garden debris and we washed them.)

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Coprinopsis atramentaria (formerly Coprinus atramentarius). Semi-edible when young, unpleasant when old and turning black; very unpleasant if eaten in combination with alcohol (contains the drug antabuse).

3. Beth

Beth Member

Thank you so much, Michael. After reading up on them*, my husband has decided that they must be thrown out immediately.

*- The symptoms can occur if even a small amount of alcohol is consumed up to 3 days after eating the mushrooms. - taken from "http://www.answers.com/topic/coprinopsis-atramentaria"

4. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

I'm not sure for atramentarius. Here C.atramentaria is biggest than your coprinus.

I think Coprinus sp. , not edible.

Nico

5. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

Appears to be the Alcohol Inky (Coprinus Atramentarius) Cap. Edible, but not to be consumed with alcoholic beverages several days before or after. I found a bunch of these yesterday.

6. Beth

Beth Member

Thanks to you all. I appreciate the confirmation.