Musa Velutina (velvet pink banana)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by JCardina, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Just walking through the Canadian Tire nursery in Courtenay and noticed in addition to the Musa Basjoo they had a bunch of Musa Velutina in pots.

Picked one up and now not sure what to do with it.

We mulch and protect our basjoos over the winter. Is the Velutina in any way capable of surviving in coastal Zone 7 with similar winter protection?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice ... I drove right by there today when dropping my wife at the Comox airport. The Nanaimo location is very close and I'll check their store tomorrow.
    I'm not sure of the hardiness but I seem to recall velutina as being on the hardier end of the scale. Bananas.org can easily sort that one out. Probably something in their search data base could yeild the answer.

Cheers, LPN.

3. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Wow, you weren't far from my house then, if you had a truckload of extra palms, meyer lemons etc you wanted to get rid of in bulk.... :)

You never know what they're going to have at those big box store nurseries. They had coffee plants at the Home Depot here as well (arabica). One thing is certain, if you can find it there it's a heck of a lot cheaper than at some large chain nurseries.