"musa ensete" seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Canadianplant, May 19, 2009.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

I just purchases one banana seeds from canadian tire ( ya i never thought i would see them there ever myself). Now, they are labeled musa ensete, shich to my knowledge are 2 totaly different types of banana. It says the plants only get to 5 feet, whick leads me to belive that they are probably musa acuminata. There are large seeds. Ills ee if i can post a pic soon.

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Could it be a hybrid?

3. Canadianplant

the picture looks like musa basjoo i think, illt ake a pic of the packs and post em

4. Canadianplant

heres a pic of the pack.. i couldnt get a good pic especially of the back side of it

Attached Files:

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

ensete maurelii maybe? These are really fast growing from seed or young plant.

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yeah, but E. maurelii grows much taller than 5'. So either the packet's got wrong info, or you've got a seeded Musa that's masquerading as an Ensete. If that's the case, they're most likely to be M. acuminata or M. sikkimensis.

7. Canadianplant

I had a acuminata a few weeks ago before i moved....., the leaves look nothing like this, but based on the pack, It liiks like either musa basjoo, if it is a musa, but im more leaving toward ensete. Ive seen alot of these plants for sale as an indoor plant. Can anyone take a guess based on the pic on the package????

8. lorax

E. maurelii is close, as are Musa basjoo and Musa sikkimensis. If you could post a pic of the seeds it would actually be easier to ID the plant.

9. Canadianplant

Of course i didnt think of that haha heres a few

Attached Files:

10. lorax

OK, those are Ensete seeds. That narrows you down, and with the pic on the pack, I'd say E. maurelii, and they've got their height information wrong.

11. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Perhaps if you grow it in a container and prune it or its roots in some way, it could stunt the growth (similar to that of bonsai.)

That's a question ^.^

12. lorax

Doesn't work that way with Bananas; they're not trees. They're big herbs, more like grass. If you think you can bonsai wheat, you can go ahead with trying it on a banana, but if you take away too much of the corm, all you'll do is retard fruiting.

13. Canadianplant

kk ill write exactly what it says on the back..the huge exotic leaves and dramatic tree like form marvel any expensive foliage plant. May eventualy produce flowers followed by a fan of a perfectly formed but unedible bananas.
    Hight 1.5 meeters (5 feet mature) it then gives germinating instructions..... other then that it jsut says musa ensete, banana plant

14. lorax

It could be a dwarf, but being an Ensete I seriously doubt it - they're the big boys of the Musaceae. E. ventricosum, which is my personal fave, goes to about 50' here in Ecuador, and E. maurelii comes in a close second. Maybe your climate will help stunt it.

15. Canadianplant

yes... ive seen many nice types...... i was thinking any one the ones you just mentoned could be it as well :S, well i guess i have to grow them to find out for sure oh well lol. Now any good ideas on how to germinate and grow them up here in canada??

16. Canadianplant

17. theredben

theredben Active Member

We recieved this plant (Labeled Ensete Ventrosicum "Maurelli") as a liner and grew it on in the greenhouse at 24C for 7 months in a 14" pot. It got no higher than 5 feet. It recieved some growth regulator early on, but not a lot. Beautiful plant, but hard to keep the leaves from getting damaged.

18. Canadianplant

\they are documented as never under 20 feet, wait a season or 2. And yes the leaves on most bananas are delicate, especially to dry air or wind. Can you post a pic of your ensete???? Yuo may have the same problem as me with missnamed plants, casue ensete arent small at all as far as i know. The smallest one ive read up on grows to 20 feet or so.