Murraya Paniculata (Orange Jessamine)

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by fionazuber, Dec 9, 2008.

1. fionazuber

fionazuber Member

I have owned a Murraya Paniculata (Orange Jessamine) for a good 15 years, and have never had a problem with it. Always full of beautifull green leaves, looking so healthy until two days ago, when all the leaves have started to fall.

The fallen leaves are still green, and are easily to brush off the tree, it now just looks like a skeleton.

Could you please help me save my plant as it is my favourite.

I have attached some pics for you to see the state it is in now.

Very much appreciated
    Fiona Zuber

Attached Files:

2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi Fiona
    Your neighbours on the other side of the fence haven't sprayed/put any thing nasty near your fence have they? For a start I'd give it a weak solution of Seasol and plenty of water.
    Have you had a good winter? Has the plant dried out and maybe not had enough water?
    ciao bertoli

3. bertoli55

hi, one thing I forgot to ask: have you fertilised this plant recently? Fertiliser, heat stress and lack of water are things i'd check first. ciao bertoli

4. fionazuber

fionazuber Member

This might be a little confusing, but I am following this through for my dear neighbour who owns this plant. She doens't have the internet, and has asked me for help, so thats when I thought I'd ask for your help to see if we can resolve this problem.

When I checked the Murraya Paniculata, it was moist. Winter was quite normal, and with summer here now, we have had quite a few seasons in a day. Cool mornings, hot lunch time to late afternoons, with rain in evening. So its been quite mixed. My neighbour is always outside watering her plants.

I will try the weak solution of Seasol that you mentioned. Would you have any other tips for me that I could do to help.

Much appreciated
    Fiona Zuber

5. bertoli55

Hi,
    The other thing to check is that the soil is draining well -these plants don't like 'wet feet' and if the soil is soggy the plant can be under as much stress as if it is dry. Please check that your neighbour hasn't fertilised before you use seasol. It is good for promoting root growth and a weak solution should help it. Good luck
    ciao bertoli

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Two days seems like a very rapid leaf drop. If it has not been sprayed or contaminated in some way, it might be a pest or disease. If you can take a sample of the plant (sealed in a plastic bag) to a local university or a plant centre they might be able to help.