Multivitamines Tablets.

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Fawad, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Fawad

Fawad Member

I just got this idea when one of the multivitamines bottels in my home was near to expiry date.I just wana know that if i put it in some plants or if would spray it on flower/vegitable plants (after disolving it in water ) .........
    What will be the result.........? Any one can answer it pls ???

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Fresh or out of date. Vitamin pills probably have as little use for plants as they have for human consumption- zilch.

3. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

You are better off giving them aspirin or pouring H2O2 on your plants, this is known as peroxide, and this help to increase the oxygen in the plant and in the roots, and help the plant to grow.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aaaak! No! Hydrogen peroxide is toxic to plants, except in very low concentrations! Don't do it!

Ditto to Durgan on the multivitamins (and aspirin, too) - keep them for yourself.

5. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

Hey Mickie dont tell my plants specially my Pothos she is doing great, I water them with H2o2 hydrogen Peroxide once a month at least (some times more)for the last 5 years, I think you need to read about this, is a great thing to give to

plants.http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

you may go to that website, and learn about it, a lot of people are using it for their plants, if you can't go to this web site for whatever reason, just google it....

I think your wife told you that so you won't use the H2O2 for you plants and if you still don't believe this, just try. I did it with a dying geranium, and was amazing.l...
    Godspeed' GB

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Without controls being used all you have is assumptions. A benefit is not shown until a pattern is demonstrated using multiple test subjects and controls. Ten with the treatment, ten without and the like. Need to have a basis for comparison.

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's worth a shot, the amount of times I've thought this won't work and proved myself wrong. Like Ron said try it in a control situation and you can come back and answer your own question. Just remember you have to fully control the plants environment for accurate outcomes.
    Plants do require trace elements as well as the main N:P:K so there's a slim chance the supplement may have some of what a plant needs, not likely, but you could prove otherwise.
    A good example if you can get a hold of it, is a Mythbusters episode where they played music / talked to plants. They used peas, if I remember correctly, as they are fast growing and can show results reasonably quick. It showed how they did the control and all.

8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I agree with Chungii, no-one seems to think it will harm your plants (the VITAMINS that is) so if you're gonna throw them away anyway you may as well try it.

Ron is right though, it will be hard to say for definite whether they are actually doing any good even if your plants look better as there are so many factors involved.

I'll give you an example...my Cordy when i first started looking after it got a bit miserable - brown tips and tightly curled leaves...so i did some research and found out it might be a humidity problem so I started misting, didn't really see any improvement immediately. Soon after I discovered that it was better to give plants water at room temperature and not straight from the tap so as not to shock the roots so I started letting my water stand and spraying day-old water heated up in the mircrowave for humidity. Finally I heard about using eggshell water and thought what the hey, i'll try that as i eat eggs quite regularly. My Cordy is cured - no brown tips or excessive curliness, leaves are much greener and it looks much happier, so I'm thinking, so egg shell water does make a difference, fancy that. What I didn't realise until recently is that Cordys can be sensitive to chemicals in tap water and these often break down when left to stand so although I can't be sure, i think the original problem was most likely these chemicals and thats whats fixed my plant rather than the quirky egg shell water!

9. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

How you do egg shell water, never heard of it. Please inform me.

Peroxide, help a lot to sick plants, take extra oxygen to the roots of the plant, and this is a cheap way to help plants.

10. Fawad

Fawad Member

ok i got lot of information ab vitamins and h2o2 But can we get Hydrogen Peroxide easily from market or from pharmacy ?

Thanks all of you for participating in this thread and giving your suggestions.

Fawad.

11. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Very simple, just pour some normal tap water into a large container/bottle and let some egg shells soak in it for a few days, then water/mist your plants with the soaking water. The theory is that its makes plants stronger because some calcium is leached from the shells into the water, perhaps some protein too. I'm not sure how much good it really does but I have to stand my water for my dracs anyway and get through a half dozen eggs or so in a fortnight so figured its worth a try...and i doubt it would do any harm so there wasn't really anything to lose.

I always chuck the water away after 7 days though or it gets a lil stinky...also it's best to leave the container open to the air a bit or it'll go stagnant.

12. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

Fawad here in the states we can get H2O2 anywhere. And is not too costly. But when I visited friends in other countries, they only sell H2O2 in the pharmacy.

13. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

if your plants require H2O2 regularly then a better long term solution would be to water less and/or use a more porous growing medium.

I used to sell it years ago to the hydroponic and garden center industry, it was 35% food grade and a liter sold for about $15. The final application rate was mixed down to about .3% it was used in hydroponic systems to inhibit algae growth within the water and reservoir.

14. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

I just do a 50%/50% percent solution of H2O2 and water and water the plants with that. I add more H2O2 when are plants produccing food for me , like the tomatoes. I think I do well with this, and of course I add my organic fertilizer, like always. GB