1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

I live in the Pacific Northwest with a very wet climate. I'm wondering what kind of Mulch I should use in the Spring. I have a Heather plant that says on the tag to use peat moss in it; and I have a groundcover (the name is at home and I'm at work right now) that is recommended to have all sorts of ingredients including Peat moss. But I'm not sure that peat moss is the right ingredient for our climate. Any ideas?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The common vogue is compost bark mulch (compost, sand, shredded bark), available in bulk from a few garden centers otherwise from the landscape supply yards. I use between 1 and 2 inches depth on new plantings and to refurbish beds, up to but not touching the trunks of plants. :)

3. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Barbara,
    I too live in wet and wonderful B.C. For the last two years I have had success using shredded leaf mulch. I gather the leaves in the fall (or spring in some cases) from my yard as well as friends yards and shred them in the spring. My soil is sandy and does not hold the moisture well so I have found this helpful. This spring I dug some of the old mulch into the flower bed and added new mulch. Eventually with the addition of the mulch and the compost I am making, the soil should be much improved.
    MickiS