mowing and leaving it.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by greenboy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

After I'm done mowing my lawn I do not pick up the grass clipping anymore, my brother told me I should do it because if I leave then on the ground are going to retain too much moist for the lawn itself. I don't know but that is not happening so far, but sounds logical. What you guys think?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i have a mower that has a mulching feature, so, the grass is chopped up pretty small and the bits fall through the lawn and mulch the roots.

without a mulching attachment, i wouldn't leave the cuttings - especially if they are very long - as that could deprive spots of the lawn of sun and then there is also the water-retention issue (promotes fungal growth if it can't dry out properly).

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Greenboy, you'll be able to tell if the grass clumps are too much. You'll see the cut grass turning sorta silvery on the the surface of the clump, and if you left it intact, the growing grass underneath would yellow a bit. So if you have a rare clump of silvery dry cut grass, kick it free and spread it around.

I live where grass grows ten months of the year. I never rake up or collect grass clippings. They return to the lawn to add compostable material to it.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I mowed, left and never went back some years ago.