moving potted plants indoors

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bince, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Bince

Bince Member

I am making plans to move my Lisbon Lemon and Cymbidium Orchids indoors. These are potted plants that have been growing out side since early summer. What should I do to these plants to make sure I am not bringing in ants and other insects? I do not have a green house to isolate them in before the move.
    Bince

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Examine them very carefully, and on a day when you would water anyway, immerse the whole pot in the sink for 10 mins. No more bugs!

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Although some little critters will try to get out of the soil with immersion in water, their eggs won't...and some bugs will find air bubbles in the soil and just sit there.

About 2-3 weeks before I bring my plants indoors, I have found that a granular insecticide mixed into the top of the soil, as well as, frequent sprays of insecticidal soap and/or liquid insecticide will virtually eliminate any "stowaways". The time element will allow for the odor to leave before I bring them indoors.

As temperatures drop in the Autumn, many tropicals/semi-tropicals will go into dormancy. Sometimes soaking the plant, as well as, dramatically changing their environment will be a set-up for root rot.

I have found that moving the plants to the North side of the house into a deep shade location a few weeks prior to bringing them indoors will also cause less shock. Sometimes a sunny location indoors will expose the plants to less overall light than a shady location outdoors.

When I repot my indoor-outdoor plants, I mix a granular insecticide in with my soil as a preventative measure.

I'm no expert or professional, just 20+ years trial and error experience with the process.

4. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

I spray my plants with a hose end sprayer filled with about a half cup each of household ammonia and liquid dish soap. Soak the plant (s) completely. Do this twice about a week apart and you should be good to go. Works great. Red