Moving old roses, mature rhodos

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mspronk, Jul 12, 2004.

1. mspronk

mspronk Member

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on moving 30 year+ old roses, and rhodos, a kalmia and hydrangeas of the same vintage. The house on our property will be demolished in early September and the property subdivided. The plantings could be as old as 70 years old. I would like to be able to save some of these mature shrubs. They will be "parked" (in pots or in the ground) for 7 months before being transplanted in their new homes.

Thanks!
    Margot

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

some general info;

if you must move or transplant, then do it.

for every 1 inch of diameter of trunk, dig a 1 foot rootball.

dig wide more than deep.

water well, before, and after digging.

consider using a pallet with plywood sides for temporary storage of plants with large rootballs, this makes it easier to move.

Pre dig or root prune a few months prior to diggin if possible, this can help encourage fine root growth before removal.

use a mycorhizzae inoculant on plants that may benefit from such as a root stimulator.

and finally (I repeat myaself, i know...) water well before and after diggin.

3. mspronk

mspronk Member

Thank you!

4. english rose

english rose Member

thanks for the reply to moving old roses. I too have to move an old climbing rose (help with the name would be appreciated. It's one of those lovely largish, pink climbing roses with a beautiful fragrance. You see all over the coast. I think at one time you could order it through the Woodward's catalogue so it shows up in remote harbours.)

Currently my rose climbs the deck but I am expanding it so need to move the rose out about two feet. Is there a better time of year to do this? Do I cut it right back? How do I root prune (not much of a gardener, I'm afraid).

thanks for any help.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years