Moving mature elephant ears (Aroid)

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Nina49, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Nina49

Nina49 Member

I just relocated a mature elephant ear plant and am concerned it isn't going to make it. I moved it and gave it a good watering yesterday but it's still willted today. The very large leaves are so heavy some of the stalks have bent in half. I've tied the others to the fence just to support them and prevent further breakage. Hopefully they will liven up again and I can untie them! I've moved several of its babies with success in the past. Am I panicing for nothing??

I'm not sure which type I have. The leaves are at least 24" long, if that helps :-)

Thanks

2. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

A picture is essential for getting a definitive ID. It is possible your plant is Xanthosoma, since that is one of the most common EEs available in Florida. These plants will be set back if dug up in the heat of summer. Those large leaves require a substantial and constant supply of water from the roots. Transplanting the plant will certainly lead to wilt due to the loss of root area. The plant will recover, but expect loss of a number of leaves before things start turning around.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  3. Nina49

Nina49 Member

Thanks, LariAnn. I'm afraid you're right about the leaves. Looks like I'm going to lose 4 very healthy leaves. Good thing they grow fast! I was attempting to create a larger area of shade but it looks like I'll have to sit tight for a little while longer.

Thanks for the quick response.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

"Very leathery" just might indicate your plant isn't a Xanthosoma. Can you post a photo so everyone can give you the very best advice? LariAnn is probably correct on this but the plant may well be something else. Chances are very high you'll save it but if it is another genus it may not grow all that fast.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very important: don't try moving them separately from the rest of the elephant.

6. trikus

trikus Active Member

Its best to remove as much foliage as possible when shifting these . I would cut of all but 3 leaves .
    If you want shade , best to put up a temperary structure .

7. redmonlee

redmonlee Member