Moving clematis

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Quincys Slave, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

Now that it's fall, I'm redoing a lot of sections of my garden. Can I move a clematis that's been in it's current spot for about 3 years?

2. RWeb

RWeb Member

The best time of year to move an existing clematis is while the plant is dormant before the new seasons growth begins - usually in late winter as long as the ground is not frozen. At this time of year the plant's energy is stored in the root system. Prune back the top growth to about 12 to 18 inches and dig at least a 12 inch diameter root ball as deep as possible.

For more gardening resources, feel free to visit MyGarden

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I have found that I can transplant clematis any time as long as the soil isn't frozen.

4. rainin

rainin Active Member

I have a clematis that I had to dig up and move 4 times in as many years. It managed to survive somehow but the time I moved it in the heat of the summer I was worried it may not make it. I watered every day for a month and it came back strong as ever in the spring.

5. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Yes, they sure are tough once they get established. It is that sleeping period that gets to me. But they sure make up for it once those roots get strong! I finally cut back a Polish Spirit this autumn, where usually I wait for the seeds. But this one definitely needs some dividing. It was hard at first since the vines are still growing somewhat and are a pretty green. It was such a nice day, 76*F and I'm not sure when I'll see another day that nice and warm until after winter. This way the job of cutting back is done so that when and if I get a chance, I will transplant some divisions in the next few weeks.