Moving Blue Atlas Cedar

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by digger714, Sep 8, 2009.

1. digger714

digger714 Member

Hello all. I bought a blue atlas cedar in may. It is about 6' tall and around 2-3 inches at the base. I Planted it, and a couple months later started seeing some of the needles turning brown, so i looked up under the tree, and there was standing water. I moved the tree about 3 weeks ago, and my wife hates the location. I can say i probably didnt put enough thought into it, just wanted a dry spot to find for it. Does anyone know if it is ok to move the tree now, or should i wait until the spring. I am not sure moving it this many times in a season is doom for it or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brad

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Move it again soon so it has all fall and winter in the final spot, before summer comes again. If able to overwinter and persist long term in your climate, liable to become a huge specimen. Choose planting site with this in mind.

In our part of USDA 8 we see dimensions like these:

88' x 16'4" x 99'

116' x 12'2" x 71'

(Height x Circumference of stem x Average crown spread)

3. digger714

digger714 Member

Thanks Ron. I was hoping I could go ahead and move it. The spot its in now just cant handle a tree this size, or possibly that size. Thanks for getting back to me. I love this tree. Is it possible to prune the tree to keep it smaller. More of an ornamental, or should it be trained to grow. Of course with stability in mind. I am also getting into bonsai. Is this a good specimen to do this with. Thanks again.

Brad

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: These are suited for topiary etc.