Moving a Wasps Nest

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by lhuget, Dec 19, 2007.

1. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

This doesn't really fit under pest management because I don't consider bees and like pests in my garden. We are ripping out a 47 year old wooden deck that has been housing a wasp nest for at least the 6 years we've lived here. I would like to move it rather than destroy it and everything on the internet seems to deal with eradicating nests. Anyone know a bee friendly source that I might consult? I believe these are vespula v. vulgaris that are very people friendly (or at least me friendly cuz they've been very tolerant). With the current trend to declining wild bee populations I'd really like to try this. There may still be a colony of leaf-cutter bees under there as well that may have to relocated. Thanks in advance for any links/help.

A Bee Friend

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

You should consult an expert source, by all means, but keep in mind that these species have survived for a long time without human help. They are probably quite capable of moving themselves. The key might be for you to supply alternate, welcoming habitat that they are likely to move into if you want to keep them on your property.

5. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Thanks for info and links. KarinL I have some old first cut that I'm going to put behind the wood shed in the hopes they might move there. There is another colony of this kind living in the walls of my log cabin garden shed so I know they prefer a "woody" environment. They are quite small and I actually had 3 colonys on the lot while the clematis tangutica was covering or rather should say "eating" the garden shed roof.