Moving a ten year old beech tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ken imlach, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ken imlach

ken imlach Member

We have a beautiful tri colored beech tree that is 10 years old. It was planted too close to the house and needs to be moved. I have heard pro's and con's about moving this type of tree. We are going into fall and some say as soon as it drops its leaves is the best time to move it. Others say it will die if we try. Need advice.

2. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

I have not moved one of these, so I can only speak kind of generally. But the idea behind a fall or spring move is to do it when the tree has the least new growth. If you do a fall move, you want enough time for it to establish some new roots before the freeze. A spring move may mess up a year's growth though so fall is probably better.

If you must move it, fall or spring are ideal. You want as much of the main root system and tap root as possible, so you will probably need about a 4-5 foot in radius (give or take) patch of dirt around the base and are going to need a lot of help getting that tree up without damaging the house or tree. I would personally wait til spring right after the first thaw but before the tree starts getting too many buds (aka the time when shoveling is going to be the hardest) and bribe some of my buddies with free food. If you live in the mitten you should be able to move it at that time with a few buddies to shift and support the tree while you and maybe one other buddy dig it up. If you are from the UP, you ma want to start your trench around the tree this fall before it snows and put down straw and a tarp on it. If you don't go too deep yet, when it snows, your tree will have insulation.

I know lots of others have successfully or not so successfully moved trees. Anyone else have any pointers/ know more about this particular type of tree?

Note: UP the straw is a good idea if it doesn't rain too much (maybe wait until after the first solid snow and shovel it out to put this down), the lower peninsula has different weather patterns and the odds are that you would get a rainy winter the year you did this.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

The methodology sounds right. That is trenching + straw for insulation and getting the thing organised and making sure you get a good rootball. I would also prepare the new place while you don't have the snow problem. Maybe keep it covered to prevent freezing so when replanting happens the tree gets a quick start. Years ago my dad used to move huge trees including beech trees for landscaping work. We have mild winters so the replanting was done over the autumn winter time..
    Liz