Mounding soil around the base of bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by ramatsu, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ramatsu

ramatsu Member

I would like to raise the ground about 4-6 inches in an area where I have some large bamboo. For a number of reasons, I can't really dig them all out and raise the bed, so I'm wondering if I can add that much soil around them without damaging them. I'm afraid that the bottom of the stalks that gets covered with soil might be prone to rot. Does anyone know if they adapt successfully, maybe building rhizomes up into the new soil? Or would it promote decay around the bottom?

Thanks!

Allen

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

probably you would get some rot.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Likely be no problem; I apply 4-6 inches of rotted woodchip/manure mix to my bamboos biannually, with no ill effects (quite the opposite, actually); I've seen shoots emerge from dirt piles adjacent to groves, pushing up through 3 feet of soil (though I wouldn't put this much on the grove/plant proper). Probably most important to keep the mix that covers the bamboo light, avoid heavy/wet.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Awe darn, thought maybe we were on to an environmentally friendly control for Bamboo weeds.

5. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Since most bamboo plants have aerial roots formed on lower nodes, there is no harm in adding soil around them.