Moths and a bug ID?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Apr 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Spring moths under the exterior light at ocean Coast near Vancouver

can anyone identify ?

the moths are no bigger than a Cdn coin twoonie

the tiny beetle bug found in garden was the size of a peppercorn (perhaps 1/8 inch)

the green leaf is an unfurling hosta with fresh rain spa treatment (hosta is either — stained glass // Midwest magic // guacamole )

thank you

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Hère is a close-up of a moth on exterior side of window screen (the grid) right now 640pm PDT

it is cold wind off ocean and some occasional rain showers. The moth has found shelter.

Attached Files:

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

GS, from the little I can see of that leaf it appears to me as if it isn't any of the 3 mentioned. Hosta 'Stained Glass' has a light center, 'Midwest Magic' has a dark edge and the same goes for 'Guacamole'...Now, as to what it actually is, it would be helpful to have a picture of the plant and a close-up showing the entire leaf, that should go a long way...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  4. Georgia Strait

I certainly am curious about the insects

meanwhile here is a photo yesterday of the rainy (snowy) Hosta …. Showing more leaf

Attached Files:

5. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry GS, not an entomologist, can't help with the insects. Do have some observations with respect to the hosta. While the plant has begun to unfurl its leaves it is such a common style of variegation it's hard to try and label it without seeing it a fully leaved-out specimen. This would appear to be a single-eyed division, did you get this from someone-else or did you make the division yourself?

I've been growing 100+ hostas in pots for the last 15-20 years and indulge me please by allowing the observation that I feel the plant is too deep in the pot. Hostas need drainage, they don't like wet feet in a pot, that will eventually lead to root and/or crown rot. I prefer pots that are deeper than the width of the pot, i.e. a 1-gallon pot as opposed to what's sometimes referred to as Scotch pot, have the planting medium to within an inch of the top and have the crown of the plant just popping out of the that. It would appear as if there's a fair bit of space left to the rim of the pot, slide the plant out of the pot and fill the bottom with enough additional medium to raise the plant.

Cheers!

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Georgia Strait likes this.