Mother-In-Laws Tongue/Snake Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Woodsprite, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I have a single Snake Plant stalk.
    Will it ever put out more shoots?
    Maybe from the roots?
    Hey, Marn, if your out there, I could use some advice.

Any/All suggestions/advice are welcome and appreciated!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I'm not Marn, but yes it will put out more shoots. It is just a matter of time. It all depends on how developed the part you have is. If it has a heathy, large root structure it will off-shoot sooner. If it was just removed from the mother plant and needs to develop more, then it will take longer to offshoot. Fear not, some day you will be supprised by a new baby!

Michael

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thanks Globalist1789, yes my mit is very young. I will wait patiently, as per your advice, and have faith that someday I will rewarded with wee ones. tee hee!

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I have found that these plants produce shoots quicker if they are a little root-bound and are receiving plenty of bright light to full sun.

I currently have a specimen that initially started out as a sickly, wilting, root-rotted, single shoot about 5 years ago (saved it from my brown-thumbed mother-in-law...laughing). It is now a pot-busting (broke 2 clay pots), 1 1/2ft wide, with nearly 30 tightly-packed shoots. It has also started to flower the past few years. It currently spends the summer outdoors in full sun on the south side of the house. In fact, I was thinking of repotting it soon as it is bending/deforming its plastic container.

5. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thanks markinwestmich!

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Hi Woodsprite .. sorry i didnt see this thread ..
    it will grow ..like evreyone else says it just needs to establish some good roots first then it will grow more leaves .. it is jsut growing below the dirt right now then above it .. :)

Marn

7. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Hey all, success at last! I have a new shoot and am sooo excited! I will continue to be patient at everyone's suggestion and will let you all know how it continues to grow.

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that is so cool ... once it starts growing it will grow good from now on .. it just takes a lil bit to establish ... it was like my variegated Split Leaf Philodendron .. i got it as a cutting and wasnt rooted .. it took over a year before i got my first leaf and i was so happy it is my most favorite of all plants and my most expensive .. but i didnt buy it .. i was lucky enough to have someone send me a cutting .. :)

Marn

9. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Sansevieria flowers have excellent fragrance. They exude the fragrance at night. (about seven nights). Though it is a slow process, the plant can be easily propagated from leaf cuttings. A single leaf cut to 3 to 4 pieces also can be used for propagation.

Attached Files:

10. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Hey Marn,
    I got so excited...I over watered it and killed it! What a dissapointment, but it was my fault. I just hope I can find another cutting. Thanks so much

11. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

thanks Nandan Salbag for the lovely pics and info. I didn't know they bloom! What a perk! Now I really do need to get another.

12. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Wow! I wonder if I could have saved it? Oh well, too late now. However, I am educated now and will keep trying even though I believe the plant won't make it. Thanks Markinwestmich!